Going for the Trilogy Challenge Bench Mark
(8/11/06) Heavy, solid brass medallions engraved by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) with the name and elevation of a mountain top are called "Bench Marks." They are epoxied onto the summits of many thousands of peaks throughout the mountains of the United States. Bench Marks are very familiar to those who venture to these high places.
Finishers of all three Trilogy Challenge events will receive an actual universal bench mark from USGS. The medal backs are being specially engraved by Northwest Territorial Mint to mark each participant's phenomenal undertaking in this year's extreme Trilogy Challenge.
- All three Trilogy events must be completed in their entirety.
- Whitney must go from trailhead to summit to trailhead in a single day. Any Whitney trailhead qualifies.
- Cactus to Clouds must go from Palm Springs museum to the summit and back down to the museum in a single day (no tram).
- Grand Canyon must go from South Rim to North Rim to South Rim in 1 or 2 days (both Bright Angel and South Kaibab trails qualify).
- If for some reason you cannot make one of the Perfect Pace Trilogy events or are not able to fully complete that event, you can make up that event. The make-up event cannot be more than 30 days from one of the qualifying events. Only one make-up event is allowed.
So far our medal contenders are Amy, Andy, Jeremy, Donnie, Jimm, and myself.